Sunday, January 20, 2013

The strength of my heart

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. -Psalm 73:26

Being the daughter of a pastor doesn't give you much choice when it comes to going to church on Sundays. Every single Sunday was spent in a church pew. I can admit that sometimes I didn't want to go at all and tried to think of excuses, "I'm sick, I'm tired, I have to practice for my piano recital", but nothing worked. I remember even on prom weekend after getting 2 hours of sleep, low and behold, my parents made sure I was in that pew at 10:30 a.m.

I questioned whether my parents were doing the right thing during those days, because I felt like I wasn't getting much out of it when I wasn't in the mood to be there... but I couldn't thank them enough. It has definitely paid off and made me the woman I am today.

As I continue to grow in age, I am growing spiritually and feel off if I don't go to church on Sundays. It is a place where I am renewed and encouraged. I am reminded of how much God loves me and I am strengthened.

To continue to serve others and be the best I can be I know that I need God. Without God I am nothing.  Time and time again when I am tired and don't know if I could volunteer one more hour, or sit and talk to one more person, or put a smile on, I am reminded that I am called to do it.

I may not want to do it, but I have to do it and am ALWAYS renewed when I do.  What some people may call 'forcing' your children or even 'forcing' yourself...leads to good. It leads to renewal...it leads to good health.

Being spiritually healthy leads to a deep sense of happiness that I can't get anywhere else. And this year I want to continue to grow in my walk with Jesus and serve others.

No comments:

Post a Comment