Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A portrait of love

What is love?

I remember someone asking in my high school government class.

Odd topic huh? Now, we were all immature 17 year olds with romantic ideas of love. We thought of love as being someone who says nice things to you, hugs you, showers you with presents.

And that's when our teacher said...

"I never saw what love was until I watched my father physically clean up my mother after she had accidents."  

With age, elderly people sometimes lose control of their bowels.

I don't know why that stuck with me so much.  Back then, I found it semi-disgusting and I was confused, but now I find it beautiful. True love sustains through the good, bad and the ugly.

Through sickness and health...




When I saw this picture I got teary eyed. It is a  reminder of the core of love: selflessness. A man teaching his girlfriend the alphabet after her stroke.

This is the kind of love that everybody wants..but little do we realize how much work it takes. This doesn't happen overnight. And it is very important to find that person who can stick by you through everything. Someone who is willing to be with you when you are sick, when you are healthy, when you are lost, when you don't look the best. Because if they truly love you, they will do it. It won't be easy, but they will do it..and you should too.

I encourage you to take some time and reflect. What is love to you? Is it healthy? What qualities do you want in your partner? And the toughy ...Could you fall in love with yourself? It sounds odd, but you might come up with some very interesting answers.

Just think about it and remember

Love is a wonderful thing 





No comments:

Post a Comment