Thursday, January 31, 2013

Call it crazy

I loooovee venturing off by myself. I enjoy being around people, but I love my me time. As I wander around the bustling Cedar Valley buying groceries, shopping, or grabbing coffee I can't help but listen to conversations in passing.

The other night I was in a restaurant  and heard a group of people talking. They were talking kinda loud so it was hard NOT to eavesdrop on what they were saying. After an awkward stitching of sentences I first thought the situation was a about this guy's relationship with his dog (what the??) ...But after listening more clearly I assessed that the guy had dated a girl (not a dog), OHHH

It didn't end up well, because after the first couple dates he figured out she was crazy and ran for the hills.

Now, what do I know? They girl may have been crazy. She may have been sent to jail for murder or drowned her cats (worse case scenario)...  But what if she just liked watching a lot of Antique Roadshow and wasn't an eloquent speaker? What if she had a bad day and talks a lot when she's nervous?... We've all had our moments. So, don't you think we use the term crazy a bit too often?

Because if by crazy you mean... able to express your emotions and ideas openly and be whoever the heck you are... Then I think we all need to amp up on the crazy.

Navigating the winding road of getting to know and open up to someone is difficult as it is...on TOP of that we now have to worry about censoring ourselves for fear of being "crazy". No thanks. A relationship is built  on being able to be yourself. And if you like watching Antique Roadshow every night, so be it! If you talk a lot when you get nervous, oh well. Instead of laughing at people, laugh with them.

My take on it is if we are a society that is cool with posting half naked pictures of ourselves online and shouting the details of our day to the world, we can be open to giving people a chance (or 3 or 4)

Embrace your inner crazy.


<----This guy sure does.

I wish I could eat Cannolis like that!






1 comment:

  1. So what if . . . she did talk alot because she was terribly nervous around me, she was a crazy-spectrum born-again Christian, an arch-conservative Republican, she had difficulties expressing her emotions and ideas openly, she let her child manipulate her at her ex-husband's request, and she was given a minimum 4 chances before I couldn't take it anymore, how much crazy is too crazy? And this was only the tip-of-the-iceberg. How about her insistence that she was my girlfriend after our first date, or that she would periodically sign her name using my last name after we'd only been seeing each other for weeks, or that she wanted so badly to please me that she drank alcohol I brought over for weeks before finally revealing under-pressure that she was a recovering alcoholic? Nope, I'd say she was at least a little crazy. Would you agree?

    ReplyDelete